Mighty Fine Drama Queen

Last week Lucy cut her foot and had to get stitches. I will not speak of the horror that is a 4-year-old-with-higher-than-normal-levels-of-anxiety-getting-stitches that occurred that day. However, today was the stitch removal and it definitely was up there in the high drama department.
Originally I thought that I would just take the stitches (or "hairs" as Lucy calls them) out myself and save the trip to the doctor. The theory being that it is being at the doctor's office that causes so much anxiety. My theory was wrong and my attempts at home study M.D. status were thwarted. So, I called the doctor, made the appointment and warned the nurse about what was to be anticipated. I could actually feel the nurse rolling her eyes over the phone as if to say "here we go again with one of 'those' moms."

So, off to the doctor we went, and Lucy did not prove me wrong. Before we left the house, she said she really needed Christian to come with her. I felt bad for her so I made him come, but I knew exactly what was going to happen. As soon as her tears started, so did his. So there I was with a crying 8-year-old as FOUR people held down my baby as she kicked, screamed, grabbed at anything in sight, all with the most unimaginable crazy look in her eyes. Before you start to feel too bad for me though, I will say this, ...this time around we had wonderful nurses and our regular pediatrician (unlike when she got the stitches). They were so sweet and I felt so relaxed around them that it really started to become funny. I mean REALLY, you would have thought they we were ripping her arm off...the nurses got the giggles, which caused me to get the giggles and when it was all over there were hugs all around.

She survived....and so did I.

Afterwards, we celebrated with a trip to Mighty Fine Burgers. Here she is accepting her Oscar for dramatic performance:



Lucy had a not so well deserved strawberry milkshake and I had a much NEEDED beer


The hamburger man was in heaven


And Wyatt just hung out, as usual


Oh, and P.S. All the drama made little girls throw up when they got home. The teen years are going to be lovely.

No comments: