Decoration

April 12, 2000 I landed in Maui, travelling alone to Hawaii to witness the beach wedding of my very best friend. Prior to taking this trip I had searched and searched for a reasonably priced hotel. I had mentioned it to my friend Colm and he recommended that I look into a hostel. I had found a hostel online called Patey's Place, but when I arrived in my rental car I just couldn't find it. After about an hour of looking around I decided to just stay at the Holiday Inn. However, when they told me the price per night, I thought I better look a little harder. Finally, I found the place hidden amongst the beautiful Hawaii landscape. 

Almost immediately a guy my age walked up to introduce himself. His name was Mark, but for a good hour I thought it was "Mac." He had a strong New Zealand accent and I'm sure he immediately saw my brain searching the globe trying to figure out where this crazy country was. We immediately hit it off and he told me about some friends that were coming the next day. Mark and I hung out that day and the following day he introduced me to his "mate" Graham. I spent the entirety of my trip with these foreigners and it was truly some of the most fun I had ever had in my life. The night of the 14th we were at an outside bar, someone said something funny and I turned to look at Graham. Our eyes met for a very brief second, but I knew it was all over. This was my husband. Yes, it is corny..but it is true.

Three years later, on May 31, Graham and I wed at the Little Chapel of the West in Las Vegas. We were surrounded by our family and closest friends. Including our Maid of Honor, whose wedding I was attending in Hawaii when I met Graham, and our best man, "Mac."



Today is the 6th year anniversary of that day in Vegas. The plan was to go to the Melting Pot for a romantic dinner alone and I was really looking forward to it. However, being that men are men and women are women, there were some mixed messages and this plan wasn't perfectly executed. So instead we headed to Macaroni Grill for a not-so-romantic dinner. My disappointment in the original plan disappeared after approximately 3/4 of a glass of wine and when at one point Lucy turned to me and said "Mommy, I'm so glad that we are 'decorating' your anniversary."



So after Wyatt poured an entire glass of water on himself, Lucy cried because she didn't want to get out of the car because she was too tired, and Graham and I sat on opposite sides of the table with 3 children in the middle, we completed yet another year of wedlock. 

So baby girl, it may not be perfect, but get ready because the 5 of us will be decorating many more anniversaries together.


1 comment:

Jori said...

Happy Anniversary! That was a great little story!