I wouldn't do this for Coors Light

In 1998 I was working at Spaghetti Warehouse and for many months I would hang out at this coffee shop downtown (I mean, it was the height of the Friends era after all). I would generally see my friend Greg there and he and I would sit and chat for hours on end. One night I made the proclamation that I really wanted to ride in a 100 mile bike ride. Greg thought this was a great idea and was really encouraging...I promptly went out and bought my first bike since I was 13. It was a mountain bike though...because, again, it was the 90s...not sure how I thought I was going to ride for 100 miles on that thing.

Anyway, in a non-bike related story, I later developed somewhat of a crush on Greg. For months I went to that damn coffee shop laying the groundwork for my big move (I had NO moves, so what this big move was is beyond me). Anyway, one night when I thought things were going really well another girl we knew showed up. I knew she had a bit of a crush on Greg too so I was immediately nervous. Well, sure enough, within 5 minutes she had made plans to go out with him TWICE!! I was disgusted with her and disgusted with me...I got up to go to the bathroom...I had to get out of there!! Two steps away from the table, while both Greg and his new lady friend looked on, I promptly tripped and fell flat on my face. I never went to that coffee shop again.

So here we are 12 years later and I have never done a 100 mile ride. It's time. I'm still the girl who trips and falls, but I'm also the girl that puts her mind to something and DOES IT.

Today I bought my first bike since 1998. I still love that old mountain bike and wish I could ride it, but I'm sure I'll grow to love the new one as well. Here they are in my garage getting to know each other.


No comments: